Re: back to Kleins / body woods

Yes! Yes! This would be a great idea.
I've always had a passion for very thin/light bodied solid guitars like
Fender Mustangs and Gibson Firebirds and SGs. Sonically they sound very
dynamic and "snappy" with a little trade-off in the harmonic density. They
can sound "plain" to some people but not to me.
Compared to say a Les Paul with a dense mahogany body and maple top the LP
will have a smoother transient and richer harmonic content but will lose
some of the "snap and snarl" factor. Heavy guitars sound more restrained
and
polite to my ears.
I have found that a denser body tends to compress the difference in level
between the strings making it more even string to string both level wise
and
timbrally.
I have never noticed a big difference in sustain between heavy and light
guitars.
Interestingly I recently played a friend's beautiful sounding, original '57
Les Paul and compared to modern day LPs it was as light as a feather. I did
some research and found out that Gibson used much less dense wood in the
50's than they do now, which I believe is a big part of the early LPs great
sound.
What body wood were you thinking of having? I'm waiting for my Klein to be
built, I ordered solid Alder for the reasons I listed above, I wanted
snappy
attack and sustain for days, Lorenzo made the suggestion.

Martin Shellard