Re: 'frippinabox' (was NAMM show)

> so what did(do) you do w/ your
> 'frippinabox'?...stanner(anotherfrippinaboxguy)

Back then I was listening to the ambient looping work Fripp did with Eno in
the early 70's and later his stuff in the late 70's on his solo coffeehouse
tour period ("God save the Queen", "Let the Power Fall" albums stuff). Also
around that time a guy named Paul Drescher had built a simliar rig and was
doing similar looping stuff in San Francisco which was a bit more rhythmic
and adventurous than Fripp's restrained/cool approach.

That led me to (try to) affect a similar sustained, layered guitar sound
which fit in nicely in an art band I was in. We continued to use two
consumer Teac r/r decks for physical tape looping for the band mix, but
what
a mess that always was! (especially live)  It was great to have the tight
control of my guitar loops with the little stomp box looper. I also used a
little toy synth called the Casio VL-Tone to loop with to great advantage.
It was handheld with 'chiclet' keys and had a 100 note sequencer  and a
programable ADSR envelope. It had a tuning adjustment on the back you could
jam a screwdriver in and get +- 50 cent detune and if you did that while
looping a sustained 'violin' tone you got this crazy weird layered
microtonal pitchshift sound.

I also got a lot of mileage out of the ability of the ElectroHarmonix unit
to modulate the pitch of the output for wild 'electronic' effects. Folks
here  say the Line6 DL-4 is good for that these days, I hope to get one and
explore that kind of wacky weirdness some more. How 'bout you?

-Bob