no-frills loopers? Boomerang competition?

Hi.  I've been researching what's available for
loopers .  I'm looking for a simple unit that's
dedicated to making loops.  This looks like the best
source of information out there, teach me.  I must
begin to loop soon, I am growing old, there is little
time.
There seem to be a lot of multi-effects units like the
Line6 DL4 that also do a little looping, but since
I've already got effects, I want to minimize
redundancy.  I also see units like the Zoom ST-224
that look more involved, more geared to DJ-type stuff
and less geared to off-the-cuff real-time looping
(i.e. harder to use for these purposes than the
Boomerang).
I just want to be able to loop and overdub layers of
different parts.  (I am a vocalist and a guitarist and
whatever else my whim leads me to.)  The Boomerang
looks like the best tool, but a couple of complaints
I've seen in reviews are of its sound quality and of
the fact that as you overdub, the previous layers
begin to fade out, limiting how many layers you can
stack.
So far I've been unsuccessful in finding the answer to
my question, so I ask you:

What other dedicated looping units are competing with
the Boomerang?  Similar recording time, similar ease
of use, similar price?  Better sound quality?  etc.
It's strange, but I can't seem to find anything that
competes with the Boomerang on its own turf.  I'd be
delighted if you informed me of my ignorance.

Oh, one last thing.  In my travels, I came across a
site www.reedkotler.com that sells what look like
quite useful tools for transcribing music.  They also
happen to be able to loop (maybe it deserves inclusion
in the Loopers' Delight page).  Now, if only it could
overdub, and maybe a couple of footswitches...

Thanks, see ya.