Re: Responding to "gig spam"

This is an interesting thread, i think, in that we are collectively
defining some boundaries.  How harsh should one be in critiquing a
fellow Looper?  Should we be soft, because we might hurt their
feelings?  Hurt their career?

Or should we be blatantly honest, since they did advertise here, and
encouraged to come to the show and give our opinions?

IMHO...Don't expect to be treated with kid gloves if you're doing
something "out there".  If you're doing noisy stuff, then the
majority of people are going to hear just plain noise. I don't think
we should protect these people's feelings.  The avante folks here
would see my music as alt/pop/garbage, i'll bet.

But respect is different to enjoyment.  I respect Sonic Youth, but
don't prefer to listen to them.  I've seen Nels Cline play a few
times, and while i enjoyed myself at the experience of going to a
show and seeing talented people play, i don't particularly like the
style of music he plays.  I'd rather listen to Kind of Blue than
Bitches Brew.  And that's just a tiny, tiny slice of the musical pie
according to my personal tastes...

kudos all around, to the advertisement, the performance and the critiques!

rich