Muslimgauze techniques

I recently joined the list...
  I would like to discuss looping techniques as it relates to reel to reel
tape.   When I first heard the music of Muslimgauze I was amazed at the
clarity and focus of the loops used.  Later I found out that Muslimgauze
never touched a sampler or computer.
  I have since been trying to figure exactly how Bryn Jones (of
Muslimgauze)
mixed loops, i.e. Did he use one tape machine, a machine with seperated
record and playback heads, did he splice tape, etc.
I would be interested in discussing this with experienced tape loopers.

Derek