From: "Hans Lindauer" <hans@ernieball.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: Drum machine set up for looping rack

> Hi Denis-
>
> I use two Oberheim DX's; one with factory MIDI in/out, and the
other with MIDI out only on the
> Stretch option.  Stretch is the clock master and sets the
tempo.  I use MIDI out on the other DX to
> sync a Jomox XBase 09, and then use its MIDI thru to sync an
EDP (now we're on topic).

> If I am playing bass, it is generally just to create a loop,
so I just run each machine into its own
> channel and generally mix them with the master level controls
on the drum machines.  One possible
> solution for you could be to use, for example, an Ernie Ball
Stereo/Pan Volume Pedal to pan between
> the left and right channels of your DR-5.  The 500K resistance
may not be ideal for line level, but
> it should work.  Alternatively, a Boss SE-70 effects processor
has a two-channel mixer as one of its
> patches, which is controllable via footpedal.  On the cheap,
you could even use an A/B switch to
> switch between the two, as long as you didn't want to hear
both at once.  I think there's even an
> A/B/A+B box out there somewhere, although it would be easy
enough to build your own.

> -Hans
>

> > Hans,
> > You indicate you use up to three drum machines.  How do you
route the
> > signals?  I am a guitarist and don't want to play a mixer at
the same time,
> > so a foot operated fader may work for me.  I could possibly
see a crossfader
> > set up to for left/right outputs of a Dmachine going into 2
channels of a
> > mixer and using a second Dmachine (an old DIY sync one)
going in separately
> > into a third channel.  This would get around the start
pointers and allow
> > the second Dmachine to be independently started and stopped.
> >
> > On thing I like about this is being able to add separate
effects. Blending
> > traditional Dsets with a set ran through a pitchshift
program to get a more
> > industrial sound, is one option I like a lot.
> > Using the second Dmachine for hand drum 3/2,2/3 son parts
would be cool.
> > IMHO  Bet none of the old units had any sounds for this
style, though.