Re: Looping with a mixer

At 9:24 PM +0100 4/4/01, Estan Milkovitch wrote:
>generally everyone uses their looping device with a guitar, I want to
>use one with 2 turntables and a mixer but I have a couple of questions.
>
>As far as I can work out, I'd need some kind of effects send on my
>mixer to be able to use ANY type of guitar pedal, can anyone confirm
>this and if so, is there any way to get around this?

That is generally true, but you can patch a system creatively to
achieve some interesting effects.

Everything depends on the specifics of your equipment, particularly
when it comes to level and impedance matching between components. For
instance, if you're using phonograph turntables their outputs need to
go into preamplifier channels before the signals are strong enough to
feed an effects device. If your mixer is designed so you can plug the
turntables directly into it, then the preamps are built into the
mixer.

A second issue to the actual signal paths you have available, and how
much independence you have for processing just one or another element
of your mix. You can always patch your mixer outputs into effects
devices, but then the entire mix will be processed. If your mixer has
line level direct outputs on the turntable input channels, then you
could patch those to the effects processors and bring the processor
outputs back into the mixer (assuming you have extra inputs).

You need to be specific about your mixer's architecture. If it's
limited to just the turntable inputs, then your best solution is
probably to buy a second small mixer and "kludge" together something
with more control of the signal routing. For instance, one of the
little Mackie 1202 mixers would allow you to add effects sends,
microphone inputs, and even the possibility of doing surround sound,
IF you're clever about it.

Richard Zvonar, PhD                     zvonar@zvonar.com
(818) 788-2202 voice                    zvonar@LCSaudio.com
(818) 788-2203 fax                      zvonar@well.com