Re: AIR SYNTH??

In a message dated 4/17/01 5:44:22 AM, Ppaulpadam@aol.com writes:

>Does anyone know of the air synth?  Any experiences?  Similar to the
>Theramin?  Does the hand action control PITCH as well as tone and texture?

I tried a prototype one way back at NAMM and then again a week or to ago
for
about half an hour. Although one might assume that it would be
theramin-like
it really hasn't got the range and controllability of one. That's not to
say
that it isn't useful within it's limitations. It's got some really phatt
analogish sounds and some other patches that kinda sound like something
you'd
hear on Radiohead's "Kid A" or something. Waving your hand above the
sensor
triggers sounds at various volumes (only sometimes does pitch seem to be
involved). Sometimes you get filter effects in different "quadrants" of
the
sensor area, sometimes pitch, sometimes wholly different sounds. It has a
couple of percussive patches that make it possible to sorta play "air
bongos"
or "air xylophone" (within a very limited selection of pitches). If one is
looking for a budget "theramin" to do a Clara Rockmore style of
performance
on I'd look elsewhere. But if you want something a little different with
some
weird sci-fi sounds or you're into Radioheadiilke sounds it may be useful.
That was my take. Sorta cool...sorta disappointing.