I have my drum machine sync'ed via MIDI to the EDP.

Say, three loops are defined on the EDP.

I have the EDP set to loopcopy SOUND rather than TIMING (because the
TIMING only loopcopy doesn't work to my knowledge).

If I then record a pattern in loop 1 at a certain tempo then stop the
pattern, it will play and drive the drum machine at a suitable tempo. If I
then do a LOOPCOPY, the EDP will copy the sound from loop #1 and the
timing. However, I don't want the sound from loop #1 to be copied to loop
#2. Only the timing to drive the drum machine.

A workaround would be to, perhaps, enter bass guitar patterns first, which
would be somewhat innocuous to the rest of the song. One can foot-tap in
at an  appropriate interval the start/stop of the 1st loop without any
other sound which would then start the drum machine. Then one could layer
whatever, say, guitar pattern, chords, whatever over the drums. But, there
are very interesting results achieved when some pattern is played at an
arbitrary tempo and the drum machine/bass machine (in this case a Zoom
234) starts at the arbitrary tempo. The somewhat mundane default patterns
in the drum machine really come alive.

Anyhow, that's my sad tale.

Regards, Paul