Re: playing w/ dj's

spgoodman@earthlight.net writes:
>Nope, a turntable isn't a musical instrument no matter how great it
>sounds.
obviously, i disagree.

>It might be supremely innovative and sometimes original how some folks
>utilize such an electronic device or sampling unit for that matter to
>create
>(or more accurately, composite) music, but at the most a turntable can
>only be used AS a musical instrument.
following that line-of-thinking, i might then also conclude (like many
already have done & may continue to do so, in future) that a looping
device
'isn't a musical instrument', either --- indeed, it might be construed as
one
step further *away* from actually being a sound-'generator' --- (unless,
of
course, it's in a feedback-loop) --- than a turntable;
oddly, i think i've been subject to this attitudinal mien, nearly my
entire
adult life.....
aiyyyyy.....................

>In case anyone's wondering my comment
>wasn't a put-down of turntablists.
ah, then i misunderstood you; sorry!
it sounded so *definitive*, though.....

>I was saying that the collaborative
>dynamic is very, very different.
yeah. but -not to be fatuous, here- what isn't 'different'?
every interaction w/every individual (&/or set of) musician(s) i've *ever*
played w/has revealed/grown its own dynamic: drummers, bands,
saxophonists,
100-piece orchestras, sarodists, chainsaws, turntables, etc.....

>When was the last time more than two
>DJs got together in the same room to "play" together, anyway?
i wouldn't know, really; don't get *out* much, these days.
*-)
i do know that i've got a buncha vinyl & discs w/multiple tablists upon
them,
though.....

>Sometimes I think you wait for my comments specifically, DT.
oh no, darling!
*-)
but they do have a certain..... ummmm..... resonance.....
i mean no harm; just gotta speak-my-nonsensical-piece, here, once inna
while.....
btw:
there's kim to thank (or, blame), fer that.
best,
dt / s-c