OT: Personal Audio Space?

Sorry if this seems too far off topic but I figured someone here might know
about hearing aid technology.  I will also throw in some loop content.  :-)

Have you ever been in a loud restaurant and couldn't make out what the
person sitting across from you was saying because the background noise was
so loud?

What I want is a "perception aid".  It seems to me that DSP's are good
enough that if combined with a couple good microphones you could cancel out
the noise and enhance the nearby sound.  Fit the electronics and mics into
battery powered, walkperson sized box, plug into it with head phones (the
ear plug kind, like what some performers use on stage) and have yourself a
"personal audio space".

Anyone know if this is possible, or available?

For looping or recording, it could be used as a pre-amp (a de-amp?) in
noisy
places.

Always Curious,

-Allan