Re: The first LA Loop Fest!!!

Goof grief, this is happening quickly...

OK.  First off, I believe that Andrew Pask put his name up as a player
before I did.  Any further word from Mr. Pask?  I wouldn't feel good
about playing until everyone who'd volunteered to play prior to me has
had their say.  So I happily defer to Mr. Pask if he's so inclined to
take the stage.

Like a lot of people, I'd be happy to play, but I'm also not in a
great, tearing hurry to do so.  Let's certainly defer to the
out-of-towners, as well as the previous applicants.

If the cards fall that way, however, the day and time both work fine
for me.  I'd be delighted and flattered to perform, and very much
appreciate the interest.

It seems to me that four performers might not be entirely
unreasonable, since I'm thinking set-up and tear-down time is liable
to be pretty minimal.  If everyone can get their gear into the space
before the starting time, we could probably cut change-over time
between sets to a bare minimum.

Didn't one of Rick Walker's festivals have each act's music morphing
from one set to the next?  Might be cool...  Collaborative playing
would also be a kick.

I also think that set times are something to think about...  I
personally don't have a "looping set list."  Anything I do will be
improvised off the top of my head, and I can tailor that improv to the
time space available.  I certainly don't mind doing a 25-30 minute
set, especially if it will help accommodate other people playing that
night.

Also, since this isn't a club or "bands" type thing, I think we could
probably get started straight away at the appointed starting time --
no need to wait around.  I wouldn't mind opening the show -- if the
thing starts at 7:00, I could be on and off by 7:30 (give or take...)

Performance space particulars:

A $5 "suggested donation" seems like a good idea to me... if folks
want to cough up more, great.  I like Steve's idea for a token
discount for CD sales, very cool (if I do play I'd like to bring some
copies of Disruption Theory along).

Here's an idea for handling the audience size and advertising: let's
start building up a specific list of people who want to come, strictly
from Looper's Delight and their immediate friends.  If we get 30 or so
people just from here (entirely possible!) then there's no reason to
sweat it in terms of getting more folks there.

A casual atmosphere would be helpful, I think, especially if seating
and such is at a premium.  I wouldn't have any objection to people
coming and going about the place if need be, as long as they aren't
too disruptive to the proceedings.  (It's hot in LA right now, and
could still be that way by 7:00 PM in an upstairs space with 30 people
in the room!)  Let's approach this as a spontaneous and informal
gathering of folks, who are there to focus their attention on the
music being made.

I can get to Tony's spot a few hours before the start time to help set
up gear and soundcheck.  I also have enough web storage space so that
I could probably host some streaming RealAudio files (and maybe mp3's)
of the gig after the event (regardless of whether or not I actually
perform).

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this seems to cover it...

Wow.  This I did not expect.  4 1/2 years of vague talk about some
sort of LA loop gig, and it suddenly falls together in the space of a
couple of days... thanks to a couple of guys who don't live in LA!

I ain't complaining...

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com