LA Loop Fest - Latest Developments...

OK, Hmmmm.

Concerns about start time are valid;  I wouldn't object to an 8:00 PM
start time as long as it doesn't cause a lot of hassles for the actual set.

Speaking of which, here's a couple of things that occur to me:

-- Playing CDs of people between the live acts is a very cool idea,
but I can't help thinking that the priority should be placed on the
performers there.  I say this with all possible respect to everyone
who might be wanting to have their music played between live
performances, but it seems to me that if we're trying to fit three
players into a schedule that won't start until 8:00 PM on a weeknight
-- in a space with minimal accommodations, no less -- then things
could run awfully late and get a wee bit uncomfortable for everyone there.

If we think about this general timetable:

8:00 - 8:30: Myself

8:40 - 9:40: Ric Hordiski

9:50 - 10:50: Steve Lawson

(give or take)

then we only have twenty minutes of "dead time" within a three-hour
concert.  I also predict that some people (including the performers)
may want to take the between-set times and get fresh air, talk, answer
the call of nature, etc.  Not exactly a great opportunity for the
"absentee artists" to have their work seriously listened to.
(Remember that this is basically going to be a bunch of people hanging
out in a warehouse-type space, as opposed to a "sit-down" concert
environment or a club).

Maybe we could set up a preliminary 7:00 - 8:00 "pre-gig" period for
people to arrive, hang out, meet face-to-face (always an interesting
time for an Internet-organized gig), and have some "guest recordings"
playing during that time.  People could listen to the other CDs if
they like, and we could be all set to go at 8:00 PM.

Beyond that, could I ask anyone who wants to contribute a CD to be
played at the show to think in terms of choosing a reasonably concise
selection, just so we could try and fit as many folks into the
playlist as reasonably possible?  We all know how long the loop-type
songs can run for...

-- Could we ask everyone who attends to try to bring some sort of
folding chair/pillow/something, so we stand a good chance of getting
folks accommodated?

-- Can Steve, Tony, Ric, and myself be at the performance space by
5:30 or so?  Earlier might be even better, if possible...  I'm
thinking in terms of getting gear set up, patched into the mixer, and
some basic soundchecking (NEVER an easy thing when it comes to most
looping gigs!)

If need be, my suggestion would be to bump the "pre-show" period up to
7:30 or so in order to leave enough time for soundcheck and
organization to happen.

And again, I say, "HMMMMMMMMMM...."

OK,

--Andre LaFosse