MIDI Still?

You know, there's been a lot of talk about MIDI on this list, and it's
short comings.  MIDI has been around since the early 80s (late 70s if
you count Sequential Circuits version)

What the hell is going on?  Did we loose a war?

I know that Kim was in on an alternative.  Is it dead?  It sure seems
silly that I'm going from USB to MIDI.  They told me that in the future
there would be flying cars and we'd all be wearing silver jumpsuits. Our
meals would be in pill form and we'd have a highspeed data transfer
language for musical instruments.  So where are they?

Mark