Re: Looping pads and ambient sounds / likely repeater correction

>>At 04:28 AM 9/9/2001, Hedewa7@aol.com wrote:
>>>apparently, ya missed a l'il bit of my point:
>>>if repeater is in *overdub* mode *before* ye begin recording, then:
>>>ending *record* w/another *record command* commences *overdub*.
>>>so ifya leave the repeater in *overdub* as a default-state, there are no
>>>extra button-presses.
>>
>>David-
>>I think you should go check this, cause my Repeaters definitely do
>>not work this way! What you are saying to do just ends record, but
>>does not leave overdub on. You have to press record again for
>>overdub to come on.
>
>Weird. When I do what Dave suggests, it works the way he describes.
>
>- select an empty loop
>- put overdub on
>- press record
>- press record again, record ends and overdub stays on
>
>plexus

The overdub light stays on, but it isn't overdubbing. It won't "overdub"
(i.e. add sound to your just recorded loop) until you press record again.

This thread came about because of concerns about being able to 1) lay down
a loop and interactively set it's loop length (EDP style), and 2) end the
loop (set the loop point) by going immediately and seamlessly into overdub,
for a smooth and bump-free loop transition.

This is a fairly serious problem. There are work-arounds, like starting
with a predefined blank loop, or recording silence on your first pass, but
this takes us conceptually back to the older, less interactive mode of
setting your delay time and filling it with sound, kinda like using an old
Lexicon or Digitech.

Now to be fair, we shouldn't expect Repeater to follow the conventions of
other instruments, but instead learn to work with it's particular strengths
and limitations. I like a lot of the new and different ways Repeater is
doing things, like for example the feedback set-up. But some things are
crucial, specifically:

1) Input Kill so we can run Repeater wet only (how this got thru beta I'll
never know...)

2) Record rock-solid to midi clock (ditto above)

3) And please, absolutely, end record with overdub.

I know numbers 1 & 2 of the above are slated to be dealt with asap, if
Electrix can tell me that #3 can be included I'll be a happy camper! How
about it, Damon?

Mark