definition of ABSTRACT..........was: Re: conceptual art and improvisation

tom wrote:
"Only music concrete and program music represent anything.
All other sorts of music are abstract by definition!"

Great, tom,  I think I'll go put on my abstract Britney Spears album ;-)

The trouble with using dictionary definitions of words at times is that
language constantly grows:  words are appropriated and their meanings
altered due to common misperception.  Take the word 'JAZZ'.  It was a slang
term for jizz or gism (sperm) that was an epithet hurled at the new
cacaphonous (!!) music played by 'uneducated' black musicians in New
Orleans.

Ask anyone on the street if P-Diddy is abstract and they are going to say
"No".  They'd say Missy Elliot is abstact.  Having just played the
Woodstockhause 2001 Experimental Music Festival (where I was one of the
more
'inside' acts) I would say she is not.  You see what I am saying?

my 2 cents,     Rick Walker (loop.pool)