RE: MIDIMAN Surface One

Alex Stahl wrote:
I've had a Tactex MTC for a couple years, and agree that it is a
remarkable technology. <snip>
The "polyphonic" touch sensitivity inherent in the Smart Fabric
technology is exciting, but it raises some difficult software
challenges as well. You can track two fingertips as separate
pointers, but what if the paths cross? It gets kind of messy. I can
imagine that Midiman chose to impose a template over the surface to
avoid some of these issues at first.
On the other hand, the raw data from the fabric is almost like a
video image of the pressure across the entire surface. You get
pressure values from a grid of a hundred or so "taxels" upwards of 50
times a second. So you can sense some very subtle shifts of a palm or
maybe a foot resting on the surface. I haven't explored this approach
enough yet but feel like it might lead to a radically new kind of
controller, particularly appropriate for controlling a large number
of effects, mixing or synthesis parameters simultaneously.

**one word:  cybersuit!
Gary