Re: Looper development and production costs?

Well, you have a point.  But how much flashy design can you put into
a 1U rack space unit that's going to garner more sales from the
target market that buys from the gut reaction of "oooh, that LOOKS
cool"?

My opinion is that HIGH END gear is aimed at a different target
market that concentrates on playability and interfaces, and spending
a bunch of hot air on how someone really SHOULD redesign their
product look seems a bit silly when the product has a 10 year history
already, and it's an expensive, complex tool that is going to be
beyond the price ceiling/capacity of the aforementioned 'buy it
because it's cool' target market.  We're not talking $200 plexiglass
BC Rich guitars here, or POD imitations, or stomp boxes.  These are
the kind of shit that people buy on impulse, as an effect of
advertising or endorsment, or for a specific price point.  Often
these are the same things being sold in the classifieds several
months after their release, because someone doesn't think it's cool
anymore and has to move on to the next widget.

The look and feel of a product has SO much to do with eventual sales.
I'm not an idiot.  But finding out exactly HOW a product feels, and
WHY a specified target market wants to buy your product takes a hell
of a lot of thinking (and $$) on the front end.  My question was why
we were wagging our tongues trying to do it to the EDP...

but you're free to do so.  you're also free to insult me with sarcasm
included.

i'm outta this thread.

rich