Repeater: next loop, midi control?

Okay. I recorded a clean part on loop one and then a dirty rhythm part on loop 2. Hoping to be able to solo over both parts I set up a volume pedal to send out cc#96 (loop select up) but when I step on the pedal I am transported all the way to empty loop # 3................What the F@*#......................My guess is that this has something to do with the LSB/MSB stuff which I don't understand--in particular I don't know if the LSB/MSB stuff can be implemented with the DMC ground control controller. Any one? thank you in advance for your responses.