RE: Max in hardware?

The MOTU Midi Timepiece AV/USB has 8in 8out for midi, extensive
rerouting/remapping capabilities, has the ability to store up to 128
programs of custom setups, can send sequences of up to 4 simultaneous
midi CC/PC or sysex messages (with each patch change), and has 2 1/4
inch jacks for footpedals or switchs that can be assigned to anything
you like.  It even has a jack for beat detect.  And this does not even
cover what it can handle in a recording studio such as ADAT sync, Word
Clock, SMPTE, etc.

Steve