Re: kingcrimson in sf-no loop content...

At 11:26 AM -0800 11/17/01, Chris Muir wrote:

>The first use of the classic two Revox tape recorder technique that
>I know of is by Terry Riley. He called it his "Time Lag
>Accumulator". People who think that Fripp innovated much tech here
>should check out "Poppy Nogood and the Phantom Band", from the 1969
>release "A Rainbow in Curved Air".

My first exposure to this technique was the Pauline Oliveros piece "I
of IV" (1966). PO and her colleagues at the San Francisco Tape Music
Center were doing a lot of pieces with live tape delay systems as
early as 1962, and Terry was part of that scene. Tape delay as both
live and studio technique was well known in those circles. Otto
Luening's "Low Speed" used delay techiques in 1952!  This music is
all readily available on CD, so check it out.

As to "soundscape," I find that the term is indeed generally credited
to R. Murray Schafer (The Tuning of the World, 1977), though John
Cage's series of Imaginary Landscapes (1939 and later) are plausible
antecedents.

http://cec.concordia.ca/econtact/Histories/SoundscapeComposition.htm

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202