RE: Re:Newbie question; EDP vs Repeater

This is just my neophyte opinion.
I am an EDP user, for the last year.

I use it live, with my mixer/turntables, as a way to dynamically
loop/create
a beat, then to add a little overdub-frosting on it, and do scratch
compositions, move onto the next loop and so on....It's a great way to milk
the best part of a song for a few extra bars, or completely change the face
of the beat.

<I'm curious if there are any other edp users who are using them with their
turntables for scratch compositions.  I know DJ Radar has the edp as the
integral piece of his set>

I also use it for a limited amount of effects, such as delay or stutter
while playing.

I got the edp because I was using a KORG KAOSS pad and it didn't have
enough
memory for sufficient looping/sampling.  The edp had a healthy amount of
memory, and a foot pedal.

I am not too hip on my edp as an effects unit, or maybe I just haven't
figured out all of the infinite combos to make those effects possible.

The pro's, for what I use it for:

Foot Pedal is great, since I am using both hands on the turntables and
mixer.

Memory is plenty.  Virtual memory is great too (partitioning up your
samples).

Interface is fast and easy to use, to get you basic looping.

It's designed as a sampler, and that's what it does.  Very well.

Cons:
The design of the edp (it would seem to me) is such that it's more designed
as a programming language (or the button sequences can be preprogrammed as
meta language, sort of like scripting your commands) allowing more freedom
of what you can do with it, as long as you know the commands and sequences.
In order to squeeze all the creative juice out of the edp, and take
advantage of it's features,  you really have to know it deeply.  Whereas in
the repeater, it's not as open to such creativity, but it would seem that
it's features are much easier to take advantage of and explore.

With the repeater, the roadmap, of what you can do, is clearly laid out
before you, but with the edp, it's more like an exploration of failures and
discoveries....if you have the time and inclination.

EDP's Memory is not expandable past 16MB, nor can you use any removable
media, such as flash memory or smart media.  Repeater can use removable
media, which allows you to take your samples with you.