Re: Re:Newbie question; the live approach

At 3:22 AM +0000 12/18/01, Chris Olden wrote:
>  I wanted to ask the listers about their approach to  looping in a
>live setting.

Almost all of the live looping I do is improvisational, and almost
all of that has been me capturing loops of other people's performance
or of recorded sources. In the past my main loopers have been
Eventide H3000 and DSP4000, and TC2290. I now have an Eventide
Orville, which I programmed as a 4-channel looper but haven't yet
used in performance. I recently bought two Repeaters and have been
using them with guitar, but don't have the gall to inflict that on an
audience.

I sometimes use long loops with regeneration, indulging in the usual
Frippery, but I'm more inclined to capture short loops of another
performer's phrases. Once I have something captured I usually mess
with it in a manner that depends a lot on the properties of the
looping device. For instance, changing a loop length in an Eventide
H3000 causes the pitch of the looped material to change to a higher
or lower pitch depending on whether I've shortened or lengthened the
loop, whereas changing a repeating sample playback in a TC2290 leaves
the pitch alone.

Because I'm rarely performing on a conventional instrument, I can
devote my attention to the looping system in such a way that it IS an
instrument. Thus I rarely let looped material just "sit" in the
musical texture. I often "capture and dump" material at a rapid pace,
or I may capture several simultaneous loops of contrasting materials
and bring them in and out of the mix.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com