RE: VIRUS ALERT! (possible hoax)

> From: max valentino [mailto:ekstasis1@hotmail.com]
> Subject: VIRUS ALERT!
>

> greetings everyone,  There is yet another virus being passed
> around for the
> holidays.  I picked it up via an e-mail (I hope not from LD, but who
> knows....)
>      I understand this new virus may not be picked up by
> anti-virus. i found
> it in my computer and deleted it. perhaps you would like to check your
> system. this is how i deleted it.
>
> 1. Go to 'start'-then to find or search'(depending on your computer)
>
> 2. In the 'search for files or folders' type in sulfnbk.exe - this is
> the virus

What's your source of information that this is a virus?  The following text
comes from Microsoft's Web Site
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q301316)

"Sulfnbk.exe is a Windows utility that is used to restore long file names.
This utility is not required to run Windows, but it is necessary if you
need
to restore long files names if they become damaged or corrupted. "

The page also describes how to restore it if it is deleted.

Please note that the above does not imply that there isn't a virus that
infects sulfnbk.exe.  It merely means that the presence of sulfnbk.exe is
not _necessarily_ indicative of a virus.

-daveh
Dave Hastings
dhastings@earthlink.net
"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are
 taught to have too much respect for music; they should be taught to
 love it instead."

 - Igor Stravinsky