Re: phil keaggy

>From: Hedewa7@aol.com
>>since i don't get out, much, and probably won't have a chance to see
>phil
>>k.
>perform in the near future ---
>maybe you could take a minute to outline what kinds of
>techniques/interaction
>phil employed that got ya freaking?
>best,
>dt / splattercell

Hey dt...
What "got me freakin'" was the way he employed the JamBoy, to both create
accompaniment and texture simnultaneously.  He seemed to use  the
midi-fade
functions (fading a loop to a vol. and then OD'ing upon it at the new vol.
and then changing to a new loop...great dynamic shifts from what we know
is
a limited tool). Also, he used the mutes and multiple loop channels in a
very creative way...not necessarily just for A and B sections of tunes.
Now, this really is not all that breathtaking to EDP or Repeater users,
but
to witness this being done with just an acoustic guitar (albeit in the
hands
of a masterful player) and a JAmMAn...well, it got me thinking'.  And so,
began to really explore the fade and mute functions in the the JamMan...as
well as the backwards stuff (tho I think my DL4 works great for
this)...and,
here's what really got me, using the delay mode for creating evolving loop
textures with the control of feedback levels.  It was, the Keaggy show,
one
of those moments of epiphany which opened my mind and ears to new
posibilities of music.
Max