Re: the perils of live looping (addition question)

>-- One reason I personally have been trying tooth and nail to steer away
>from effects-laden, ambient-styled loop work is because I've found that
>it hard to capture and hold a live audience with that approach.  Now,
>for a lot of ambient musicians, that's exactly the point -- to NOT
>necessarily demand their focused listening, and to function as a
>background environmental aspect just as much as a foreground element.
>For me personally, though, I want to be able to grab and hold a
>listener, and I've found that it's hard to do that with the
>ambient/ebowed/droney/rubato/soundscapey angle.

this is the reason i only do pure ambient music at punk rawk shows (and
bookstores ... but the only one open to it around here closed a while ago)
ambient infiltration of a loud-music event is such contrast that notice is
taken
regardless of the performer's intent. i have to explain to people they
don't
need to pay attention ... that i'm there to prime them for the next act.

some bands/promoters don't get this idea ... and think playing Mudvayne
(yuck!!
i can't believe they're from my hometown) in between sets is a "good idea,
not
like yours, suit and tie guy!"

>Andre says, "Please post and critique specific musical work on Looper's
Delight!"

OK. i'll start by saying that a cd i made of your mp3s gets played daily
in my
mom's coffee shop, it's in the changer right after Namlook/Schulze's Dark
Side
Of The Moog 8 and right before a Jimmy Smith live set from 1958. i find it
pleasant ... more later.

Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com