Re: making field recordings

Mary Jane Adams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm curious to know if any of you make field
> recordings. What kind of portable/remote
> equipment do you use? Special mikes? Suggested
> techniques? Helpful books or web sites for more
> info?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mary Jane

hi

i started doing "field recordings" a few years ago, and while i've not
done lots of it, i have used several devices, with varying results, to
wit: i began with a sony microcassette recorder M-679V, which i still
have, and use periodically, but usually to load quickly recorded stuff
into my guitar pickups for that *special* texture (i use a cell phone
for the same); it's a bit noisy and i've only used the built-in mic
(kinda crappy) with it for simplicity's sake; i have used a couple of MD
recorders, the first is the sony MZ R55, which i've had some good luck
with, and i actually found the sony electret condenser stereo mic to be
pretty decent, though at about US $100 i would have expected it to be a
little more solidly-built (it's obviously more of a hobby-grade
instrument, but it is fairly clear-sounding and is switchable between a
90 degree and 120 degree pattern). my biggest complaint was running out
of battery juice at inopportune times, but that's less a beef about the
gear than an indication of poor planning (also, the mic is powered, so
even if you remember to have spares or a charged-up nicad on hand for
the MD, it's easly to forget to carry an extra for the mic...). i just
got a new sony MZ-R700, which comes in a cool lime green :-) and is a
bit smaller/lighter than the earlier model. the mic's the same, but the
interface is a little easier to use, and i'm happy enough with the
results from the few tests i've made. one of the biggest problems i've
heard from others doing field work is wind noise. the sony mic comes
with a foam windscreen, which helps but doesn't eliminate the
problem...as for more in-depth info, i haven't looked around. actually,
if you find a good source of data, i'd definitely be interested!

best,
lance g.

ps i've also run a roland hard-disc unit out into the elements on a
looong extension cord. results were good with small diaphram condenser
mics, but not the most flexible (or portable) set-up!