Re: Field Recordings

Hi Mary Jane,

I do, and I use a plain old Sony voice-activated cassette recorder that I
bought at The Good Guys. I didn't have the funds to buy a minidisc
recorder,
and wound up being very glad that I didn't. I love the sound
characteristics, accessibility, and versatility-during-performance of tape.

The recorder I use was about $100 (Sony TCM-50DV), but aside from having a
nice tape movement mechanism, it's not noticeably better than a similar
model I got for $40 (Sony TCM-20DV). Both of these can record and play at
normal and half speed. They also both have a nice analog pitch wheel that
can let you speed it up OR slow it down by about 20%. I also got a
recorder
at Radio Shack for about $75 (CTR-118) that probably doesn't record as
well,
but has an analog speed lever that goes from 75% to 200% speed, as well as
pitch changer that doesn't change the speed.

All three of these are used in my current live setup.

Matt Davignon