Re: Linux Distrobution for Audio Question

I am a Linux user and I would be happy to help.

First, if you're going to be doing serious sequencing, I would recommend a
faster processor. I use a PII 450 and I've had no problems with it,
although
I am considering an upgrade.

Zip Drive is good idea. I've had no problems with them in Linux.

192 MB RAM is good, but again more is always better. I personally use 256.
Also, if you get a fast enough processor, you can get PC133 RAM!

The two hard drives idea is good. I assume you're going to put the OS and
the swap partition on the 20 GB; I recommend a 2-4 GB swap partition.

As for the 60 GB, DO NOT USE NTFS if you are running Linux. Linux can
(usually) read NTFS, but writing to NTFS is extremely buggy. Even you have
windows on your machine, a FAT32 might be better (though you lose the
ability to compress and encrypt). If you need compression and/or
encryption,
then just use the native Linux file system.

Ethernet adaptor is good. The 3D card looks good as well.

As for the best Linux distrubution for audio? There is none really! Linux
was not designed with audio in mind, though adding audio to Linux is
getting
better. I used Mandrake Linux which gave me no serious problems with my
audio, except it took me forever to find the program to load my SoundFonts!

No problems with audio on my system, and only a MIDI output problem which
was really a lack of documentation problem.

Please get a copy of "The Book of Linux Music and Sound" by Dave Phillips
from Linux Journal Press. It call help a lot more than I can.

Any more questions, feel free to email me.

J. Sawruk