Re: Bad Repeater Experience (Rant)/EDP experience

snips
-----Original Message-----
From: William Mcallister <BILLYBUDDHA@webtv.net>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
<Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Date: Thursday, January 17, 2002 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: Bad Repeater Experience (Rant)
I'm just about ready to purchase a repeater or an echoplex, and all these
bad things I keep hearing about the repeater makes me wonder. But the
people
who have repeaters that have no problems seem to love them. I'm scared. I
dont want to get a lemon. Is anyone having problems with their echoplex?
Thanx, Bill

Bill -
No problems with my/our EDP's. I have upgraded two of them with the LOOPIII
OS and they run quite smoothly. One was bought circa 1995 by my girlfriend
brand spanking new from Manny's in NYC. We only recently upgraded that one.
The other was bought used on EBay (for more than they are brand new now and
yes worth it) in the summer 1998 and upgraded shortly thereafter. It has
also been running without a hitch.
The newer EDP's are loaded with maxed memory and LOOPIII software. If you
want to loop it would be my choice.
Yes I have two Electrix RPTR's. My gf uses her RPTR and is quite good at
getting some good stuff out of same. Mine sits in the other room. I hooked
it up and found, yes Electrix is right and it says so right on the unit. It
is a Loop Based Recorder. So i'm using other gear for my loops. But, I will
say that the RPTR turned me on to some sounds that I get with other gear as
the RPTR has this hiccup due to it being a recorder first and looper
second,
IMO or in their advertising, whatever. It can gnash and torture some
signals
to the point of Hendrix-like fuzz out, which I like. I just don't like
having to turn very many knobs to get there. Which is maybe why my gf has
had real success with the unit (she uses a mixer and is a vocal
texturalist)
and my unit sits impotent (I obviously play guitar). Please note I have not
upgraded the RPTR to the 1.1 OS. I really feel that they should send the
upgrade/bug fixer to the folks who bought the units for gratis. I don't
have
a CFC reader nor do I have any interest in saving loops on CFC's. I use dat
for that. But man, I haven't saved a loop in a while. I just record them
and
improvise lately.
I hope this helps some, but please realize there is no substitute for going
to a shop and checking out a piece of gear first-hand/foot.
best regards, Pedro Felix - NYC 2002