Re: guitar synth opinions/experience/etc.

>anybody got any suggestions for a guitar synthesizer?
>roland 33 looks nice, but i'd like some experienced
>opinions if you don't mind.
>
>thanks for your help.
>
>jim

Hi Jim, I own a GR30,which is the model that preceded the GR33, it was a
replacement for my GR1, which replaced my GM70, which replaced my original
GR300 (which I wish I still had). I bought it used on ebay.  The GR30 was
the first guitar synth from roland that featured an arpeggiator as far as I
know. The GR33 also has an arpeggiator, which is a great feature. I am
finding the arpeggiator very usefull because I can sync it to my looper,
and I'm able to use it to write rythmic synth parts, throbbing bass lines,
etc.,as well as trigger the pitch transposition function on my Repeater.
The sounds, as far as I can tell on the GR33 are an improvement over the
GR30, though I'm not sure if the arpeggiater has been improved or not. I
have'nt had much time on the GR33, to see if it is as deep,
programming-wise as the GR30.  The GR33 has a built in expression pedal
which is a nice improvement.   The sounds are useable, easy to modify, with
some cool real time control options (various wahs,harmonizer,effects,
etc.).   Neither the GR30 or GR33 will give high end samplers or keyboards
a run for the money sound-wise, but if you are like me, sometimes the
challenge of limitations can be its own reward. I have, over the years,
lived with the noticeably improved, though still  sluggish tracking of the
Roland guitar synth. I  work with those limitations and enjoy having the
extra colors to play with. I would add that having two loop devices might
serve you as well. A Repeater and an EDP would be my choice.
Bill