Re: eventide general question

Dennis
I said "the most powerful *hardware* fx processor"!
That leaves the Kyma out of the ground.
I am referring to dedicated units, no external software, no computers.
Said that, "most powerful" means objective datas; it means:
-variety of possible fx that can be built
-open structure versus closed one
-quality of sound without compromise
Orville has a growing library of 220 audio, math and control modules
that can be patched together to make up structures.
Power means how big of structure can fit in one preset and how goo it
sounds.
As of today there is still no processor capable of doing what Orville
does in one preset. Orville can run TWO presets at the same time.
There is no Sony, Kurzweil, Lexi or TC that allows the user to do what
an Orville does, with such a freedom and quality.
Probably reading it's manual would give you a clear picture of it.
I read all those companies manuals...still not there.
I also read Kyma BOOK but..."hardware" is the field of my statement.

greetings
Italo De Angelis

> > It's the most powerful hardware FX processor on the market today.
>
> [  :) I fear we trend on sacred ground here.  At the danger of discuss
ing
> religious issues, I'll continue carefully...  ]
>
> I suppose it depends on what "most powerful hardware FX processor" mea
ns.
> Let's look at the Eventide Orville, the Symbolic Sound Kyma, and the S
ony
> DRE-
S777. In raw processor power, clearly a Kyma system is tops with 28 DSPs
> versus 2 on the Orville.  On the other hand, the Eventide units can fu
nction
> standalone while Kyma requires an attached computer.  And Eventide's
> pitch-shifting algorithms are highly optimized.  The same pitch-
shifting
> functions on Kyma consume more processor power, due somewhat to the mo
re
> general architecture.
>
> Then there's the DRE-
S777.  It does reverb modelling based on near realtime
> convolution.  This feat is unequaled by *any* other device that I know
 of.
> Perhaps that makes it "most powerful hardware FX processor"?
>
> Some ways, it's like discussing what's the most powerful fastest car o
> biggest truck,etc.  While it's a interesting question, I'm not sure ho
> useful it is.  After all, the artist needs the tool that works best fo
r him
> or her.  If I really need a bicycle (perhaps a really good bicycle), t
he
> fastest car won't do at all.
>
> Dennis Leas
> dennis@mdbs.com