Re: LOOPING CAPITOL OF THE UNIVERSE: San Luis Obispo vs. Santa Cruz

> "and now I hear rumors that there may be a couple
> more looping gigs featuring LD members on the 28th and 29th.
> What the heck's going on around here, and why does SLO suddenly seem to
>be
> the center of the looping universe?"
>

> Now, hold on there!!!!    Master U.K. Bass Looper Steve Lawson has been
> quoted as
> saying that  "Santa Cruz is the looping capitol of the Universe".

Master or not, I still contest that SC wins... one weekend of loop
activity cannot
compensate for years of loopaliciousness in SC... and let's not forget
that this recent run
of looping festivals was commenced by Rick in SC with the bass looping
fest last
January (me and Max and Scott and Trey happened to be playing as well, but
none of
us are big name draws, let's face it - it was Rick's hard work that made
that happen...)

Oh and BTW, places like NYC/London/Berlin etc. are discounted due to an
'infinite
number of Monkeys' clause in the looping capital contest rules - cities of
that size are
out due to the likelihood of loopers just being there without much in the
way of 'scene
building' by anyone in quite the same way, despite the enourmous and
pivotal
contributions to the world of looping made by
Riley/Reich/Cage/Torn/Eno/etc. etc. Their
genuis, unless I'm much mistaken was less about functioning as part of a
scene, and
more about trail-blazing... now there's a discussion starter, certainly a
concept I'm willing
to have challenged by those more knowledgeable on here, and one that
probably
sounds far more weighty than such a trivial discussion starter deserves...
:o)

But in the SLO/SC show down, SLO has got years of catching up to do...
When
unknown loopers such as we can turn up about play to over a hundred
people, there has
to be some kind of scene happening..!

..the nice thing is now, I do seem to have an iddy-biddy little following
in SC thanks to
Rick's hard work - a high proportion of the people at the recent loop fest
with Rick, me,
Richard Z, Bill and Orbis had seen me play before and were back for more
(fools!!!),
which was rather nice! :o)

Steve
www.steve-lawson.co.uk