Re: Repeater MIDI controller question

>  >sorry for the long read,
>no, it's all good!
>but, i'm surprised that you haven't explored re-pitching individual tracks
>(or the whole loop) in your midi setup, and keeping the timing
>constant.....
>best,
>dt / splattercell

dt,

yah, i had it setup that way when i first got into it, but the
repitching to my ear has WAY too may artifacts and strangeness to it.
the only way i really can handle it is if the original track is
running and you take the same track, and resample/pitch it alongside
the original (or repitch a 'new' track).  Like a droning note and
repitch the second one to a 3rd, 5th, etc...The sound quality of the
original at least masks some of the artifacts...

at least to me it does.

also, if i was going to repitch a track, i'd much rather assign the
pitch transpose to a CC number and then just stomp on one of the
pedal switches and have it go straight to the new pitch, rather than
the exp pedal.  or do it from the front panel.

the dive bomb downpitch thang is for the wierd stuffs and texturalizing.

thinking just off the top of my head, i would say that repitching
stuff with the tempo changes sounds a bit more 'natural' to me? and a
bit more interesting?  the ability to repitch without tempo changes
is such a revolutionary concept, and i think it's being used quite
liberally...at least in some techno/dance stuff i've heard.  To me,
it's got a bit of a 'fat boy slim' stigma to it, y'know?  like i hear
it, and i say "ahhhh, repitching without tempo changes....ok."

not that it can't be used in neat and original ways...and i'm sure
you've figured out numerous ways to bend and tweak with it, david!
just my 2 cents off the cuff.

also, the stuff that the Repeater has been used for has been mostly
ambient soundscapes and drones.  once i lock onto a beat, i'll want
that constant timing thing....

i'm sure i will implement that feature in another bank of the
behringer pedal as i get better with the unit and want more features.
Coming from using a Jamman, i've tried to make this unit my 'dream
Jamman', which for all intents and purposes, IT IS....and more.  I'm
just keeping the 'and more' part to a minimum for the moment!  kindof
like my guitar teacher telling me 'stay in position!', where as i
tend to wander a bit sometimes, overwhelm myself with possibilities,
and get a bit lost.  (and getting lost isn't always a bad thing, for
sure.  it's just a bit more fun when you at least think you know the
way back!)

....your idea of using an Oxygen controller is quite sweet, since you
could use controller knobs to tweak, but also use the keys to 'play'
the loops, too.  cool!

best,

rich