stutter effects/64th note triplets and workarounds in SONAR

Thanks Andre and d/t for you suggestions about creating midi stutter
effects.   I am familiar with those but still think it is valuable for a
midi program to quantize to smaller note values so that you can keep things
like conventional backbeats in place.

BTW, Andre,   GLITCH is the correct genre term and OPAL is the band to
check
out.
I use STUTTER because it is what everybody is doing these days.  I don't
think it is considered a genre, though (although someone will probably
prove
me wrong on this one).  Long live FSU!!!!!

I also am talking about early jungle when more of this technique was being
used (before glitch even occurred...........except the 15 bands,
unbenkownst
to me,that were probably doing it in the 60's that Richard Zvonar will tell
us about ;-).

 Modern jungle, frankly has been very commercial and boring to me (please
enlighten me with listening suggestions all you modern junglists out
there).

Also, big thanks to Carl for the workaround on creating 64 note triplets in
Sonar and thanks for the correction about the 'professional' quality of
Sonar.   Please forgive my misunderstanding...........I don't actually have
the program and was only going on outdated word of mouth.   It is
exceedingly cool that a company listens to what the folks in the trenches
are doing and repsonds to them..................Big Kudos to Carl and
SONAR!!!!

 David also mentioned conventional and unconventional clusterings of notes.
I particularly love taking
two solid drinking glasses (the older fashioned heavy kind that have a lot
of dense glass at the bottom of the glass)
and forcing them together.  If you slow the sample down you can hear the
d    d     d    d  d   d   d  d d d d d d dddddddddddddddd        quality
of
the mutliple bounce.  It just sounds like an upwards chrystiline pitch bend
at normal speed.      I am so fascinated about stretching rhythms within
the
normal confines
of a 4/4 or 3/4 time signature and am working a lot on ways of teaching
oneself to be able to play this stuff.
When I get a little more time (two c drive failures in the last three
weeks....................sheeesh)  I'll post a couple of very hip ways to
teach oneself how to practise different time stretches (or molays as they
have been called in Brazilian music) using computer looping
tools................remind me if I forget if anyone is interested.

I have also really been interested in clusters of notes being percieved a
single rhythmic event.   I'm actually really experimenting a lot with this
concept in the realm of acoustic trapset drumming and hand percussion,
using
multiple bounces by unusual beaters:   plastic martinia skewers,  pieces of
plastic,  metal barbecue skewers as well as conventional drum stick'buzz'
strikes and multiple jazz brush strikes.   I've also been buying all kinds
of different chains (from punk wristlets to
nightlight chains to chain links for fences) that cause multiple bounces on
cymbals, snares, toms, et. al.
Percussionists out there:   try this shit out on a tight dumbec with a
synthetic skin..............it rocks

Well, got to go..............I'm off to flash the BIOS on music computer #2
in the big room here at Purple Hand Studios
(ha ha ha............it is all of 10' X 10', as opposed to the little room
at Purple Hand Studios, which is our former kitchen table.....ha ha ha)

hope to see some L. D. ers at the Fractal/Loop.pooL/Headshear show on
Saturday night at the Quarter Note in Sunnyvale   details below.

yours, Rick Walker (aka, loop.pool)

    Who:    Fractal + Headshear + Loop.pooL
    When:   Sat 16th March 2002, 8:30pm til late
    Where: The Quarternote, 1214 Apollo Way (corner of Lawrence and
Central Expressways), Sunnyvale, CA