Re: SV: Laptop looping

At 10:14 PM +0100 3/15/02, =?UNKNOWN?Q?Bj=F6rn?= Eriksson wrote:

>Regarding Pauline Oliveros --- godmother of looping -- she really
>is! -- I read about a session with some sort of looping -- this one
>done with sound transmissions with radio wave echoes sent the moon
>and then bounced back playing over it ... done in Austria 1999. You
>can read more about this on
>http://www.oberlin.edu/con/bkstage/199906/moonmusic.html

I helped a little bit with the early stages of that project. Pauline
had been working on the idea while teaching at Mills College in 1986,
with composer/technologist Scot Gresham Lancaster assisting.
Pauline's original plan was to do it with a huge radio telescope, but
she couldn't get access. Scot found a ham radio enthusiast in Maine,
named Dave Olean. Dave supposedly had the largest private ham antenna
in the country, if not the world. Pauline and I flew up there and
spent an evening with Dave bouncing a variety of sounds of the lunar
surface. I remember penny whistle was particularly successful. The
resulting tapes were used in a performance at Moebius in Boston, but
the real-time performance projects weren't realized until some time
later.

Along similar lines, oboist/composer Joseph Celli performed the piece
Phalba in duet with Jerry Hunt via communications satellite at New
Music America in 1985. Joe talked about that performance at a
memorial concert shortly after Jerry death in 1994: "In this
performance, my live signal was sent to Jerry in Austin via
satellite. He processed my sound live, and it was sent back to the
performance space and mixed with my live sound. The festival couldn't
afford a sound check on the satellite, so it was all live and filled
with great apprehension. Tonight we don't need a satellite -- Jerry
is getting the signal real clear."

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com