Re: John Scofield doing a little looping

lance g. wrote:

>the backup trio was excellent. one moment in particular stuck with me- it
>seemed the bassist was controlling a processor which the raw drum sounds
>were
>feeding; at the same time it seemed midi triggers on the drums were
>controlling the groove box bortnick was manipulating. the combined effect
>made
>for some very nice and rather unexpected *drum* sounds, and was visually
>pretty cool as well. fwiw, did you get a look at the backup trio's gear?
>curious about some of those boxes...

Yeah, for a while, i was hearing what sounded like bass lines, but the bass
player wasn't playing.  That must have been midi patterns triggered by the
drums.

As far as the gear that the musicians had, this was all I could see:

John Scofield:  Ibanez artist hollowbody, Boogie Mark IV, and Vox AC30,
Boomerang, Rat pedal, Digitech Whammy. He was also getting a flange
somewhere..perhaps from rack gear...

Avi Bortnick: Yamaha (strat style), Fender amp (deluxe...maybe, not sure),
a couple boss pedals (couldn;t tell which ones..), and a wah pedal that I
couldn;t recognize. He also used the Electro-harmonix envelope filter.  He
also had a sampler (boss maybe) and a groove box (I think it was the Korg
Electribe..)

Bass: Fender mustang bass (which he played mostly in the upper registers,
like an upright), Ampeg amp,  purple Line 6 pedal...I forget..is that the
filter modeler? He also what looked like an Electroharmonix EQ, with a
bunch of faders, or perhaps this was the microsynth or bass
microsynth...couldn;t really tell......he had some other pedals too, but
couldn;t see them.

sorry, i didn;t do a very thorough inspection...

- Chris