Re: Cable direction my ass

While the following quote is not about analog signals on a cable, this
stereophile article shows measurable differences in jitter from an
spdif source depending on the direction of the cable:

http://www.stereophile.com/printarchives.cgi?368

'Changing the direction of the digital interconnect between the
transport and the jitter analyzer.

This phenomenon was easily repeatable: put the cable in one direction
and read the RMS jitter voltage, then reverse the cable direction and
watch the RMS jitter voltage drop. Although I'd heard differences in
digital-cable directionality, I was surprised the difference in jitter
was so easily measurable—and that the jitter difference was nearly
double.

To confirm this phenomenon, I repeated the test five times each on
three different digital interconnects. One was a generic audio cable,
the other two were Mod Squad Wonder Link and Aural Symphonics Digital
Standard, both highly regarded cables specifically designed for digital
transmission. The generic cable wasn't directional: it produced the
same high jitter in either direction. But both the Wonder Link and the
Aural Symphonics had lower jitter levels overall, but different jitter
levels depending on their direction. Moreover, the generic cable had
higher jitter than either of the two premium cables—even in the
latters' "high-jitter" direction. '

bret