RE: re[2]: Chords (was Adrenalinn)

Title: RE: re[2]: Chords (was Adrenalinn)

I think that either your teacher was very mistaken, or a number of mine have
been. Bach was a legendary as a musician and improviser during his own time
(he was famous as a keyboardist before he becamse famous as a composer), but
it wasn't all 'by ear' :> Mozart was.

** so was beethoven and (i believe) brahms - - who supported his family as a teen by playing in the brothels of hamburg ( i think it was), my guess being that no one would mind if he just jammed. bach was supposed to be able to improvise 4-part fugues (scary!) - - the nusical offering being born out of just such an exercise, i believe.

my personal take is that much of 19th-cent comp was codified piano improvisations. unless you were bruckner and then they were organ improvs (i think you can really hear the way the composer's main instrument colored how they wrote).

>that's been pretty much the pattern in art and scholarship: first the
>intuitive artists put it together and then the analysts take it
>apart. Finally, the poor students have to emulate the masters by
>le-based exercises, and most of them get throttled in the process.

Most?

All.

** hmm, to be fair, that sort of thing has also helped people as well. even though i'm sort of an auto-didact, i acknowledge that there is stuff to be learned from people who do that sort of thing.

stig

Confidentiality Warning: This e-mail contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail. Thank you.