Re: An Oxymoron Replies

>The programs that convert audio signals to midi work great if you have a
>four on the floor approach but suck when anything syncopated is thrown in
>the mix................at least that has been my experience.

The Repeater needs a parameter where you can select whether the tempo
detector listens to L, R or Efx return, where we could connect the
signal which is already looped or regular (record, bass drum...)
while playing into the loop whatever we want.

>Excellent monitoring seems to be an absolutely essential key!!!!

yes, give the drummer headphones. He may not use them most of the
time but when it becomes difficult (bad room, unclear loop) he has
them arround the neck.

>A drummer who is not experienced with playing to click tracks, sequences
>and
>drum machines really owes it to themselves to learn how to do this.

certainly true for professional musicians, but even those want to
speed up sometimes and we dreamt that the Repeater would be able to
follow this, but in practice its hard...

>It actually took me dozens of hours of practising
>to get the hang of not only playing with a perfect click track but to also
>be able to play relaxedly and fluidly  with good feel while doing so.
>Playing to loops that have human inconsistencies in them (like ALL of
>them)
>is even more problematic.  I can always tell that I am improvising with a
>sophisticated looping musician when they can play to what the loop
>IS, not to what the loop SHOULD BE.

thats a good one! Really, sometimes we can make the loop seem what it
should be if we interprete acordingly arround it, but thats us
amateurs ;-)

>Steve Lawson really turned me onto the idea of playing really long loops
>that 'hint' at metricity and then memorizing the loops until one can play
>against them.

Yes, I start with a balad like 30-50sec chord or mixed loop sometimes
and then play along once or twice until I take the chance to record
the bass line to it. Or I record a melody first because its less
critical (easyer to correct "passing" tones ;-)

>later,   yours,  in rhythym...........................Rick 'Oxymoron'
>Walker

oh, you wrote this, I thought it was of vigurous content!
Love
Matthias
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org