Re: Compressor/Limiter recommendations

I have used and demoed and owned (and do own) quite a few compressors;
from
the lowly dyna comp to Joe Meek to TL Audio Ivory, to a beautiful La2a (my
pride and joy!) to Retrospec...
There is such a wide range of devices and prices available.
The RNC (Real Nice Compressor) is quite a deal, very handy and works great
on a wide variety of instruments.  Seeing as how it is not full of glass,
it
would probably be very gig-friendly, too.
ART makes a very inexpensive Tube Compressor, The Levelar, which is also
very nice...and quite usable.  The latest generation of ART mic Pres, The
Tube MP Studio, also features a limiter for driving (and protecting)
digital
equip. This might be handy for protecting your DAT ins.
If you are not familiar with compressors, I would suggest not spending a
fortune; the RNC and ART stuff will probably do you well.  Also, as Mark
S.
so aptly pointed out...dynamic range IS your friend!  Use compression
sparingly (certainly some limiting before the signal hits the DAT would be
nice...), and the rule of thumb is: "if you can hear the compressor
working,
you are applying too much compression"
Max