musicality vs. gear quality (was Re: loop mud)

i know exactly what you mean.  i'm still fairly new to
this kind of equipment as well and love hearing the
input that this list has to offer.

i spent about 10 years as JUST a bassist (or as frank
zappa puts it - a composer whose main instrument of
composition happens to be bass)...sure i spent some
money on some gear that seemed good at the time, but
never really got into the nitty gritty of what it was
all about and what you can actually do with this stuff
(and in turn, had several pieces of crap in my rig
that i barely used and barely got beyond facotry
installed presets).  i've taken midi classes and
gotten in and out of caring about it, but now i've
come to a point where it is the next logical step (to
start embracing the technology available to musicians
as opposed to scoffing at it as i had done in the
past).

i've started checking out people using the gear and
i've even gone to one open NY loop thing (and plan to
attend and perform at these in weeks to come) and the
main dissappointing thing that i've noticed amoung
musicians who use the gear is the lack of musicality.

to me, it seems that people are more concerned with
what gear they have then the actual sounds that they
are producing and this is pretty upsetting to me,
because i was under the impression that this was all
about using the tools available to get the sounds in
our collective heads out to the public (although i
guess the sound in some folks' head is just chaotic
loops).  obviously, there are a bunch of people doing
mind boggling things with this gear, but the majority
of what i have seen is people getting wrapped up in
turning nobs and pushing buttons...not even taking the
gear out to what it is capable of.

the big problem with equipment like this and my major
former gripe about technological advancements in
musical equipment is that the basic functions of these
tools can make anybody sound pretty good.  the problem
with that is that people tend to shy away from digging
deeper into the power of these tools and are satisfied
with its basic features.  an echoplex and a repeater
are not just tools, they are actual instruments and
when used properly or perhaps i should say creatively,
they can really expand your capabilities as a live and
studio musician.

i probably would have been better off not saying
anything...especially since with my comments, i was
more pushing my views and goals in your and other list
members' directions, but i just don't buy into the
whole fix a limitation with one piece of gear with
another.  to some people, a guitar is just something
to strum chords on and the only way to do something
unique is to add effects, but pioneers like hendrix
showed us that there are not limits to the sounds that
one can create with just a guitar.  just trying to
offer some of my personal feelings on the subject, and
again, this is just how i feel...i do understand the
addiction associated with gear acquisition (and battle
it myself to a degree), but for a group like this who
uses this cutting edge technology to create music, i'd
like to hear more people doing ground breaking
stuff...and maybe i haven't been exposed to enough
music that is being created by members of this list,
but i've checked out a bunch of links to list members'
music and seen some of the gear in action and most of
what i've heard can easily be done without this gear
and with just more focus on the actual instrument
going through the gear.

anyone care to share their views on the age old (for
me at least) debate of musicality vs. equipment?

loopfully yours,
e va n|s sa b