Re: For G-bashers

At 5:48 PM -0500 4/27/02, Kevin Brunkhorst wrote:

>Pat was... uh... 15... in 1969.

He was very precocious.

>I don't know what you heard, but it wasn't Pat Metheny...as far as I
>know, his first (generally available) recording was with Paul Bley,
>Bruce Ditmas, and Jaco Pastorius, in 1974.

It might have been early 1974, or it might have been a tape. Or it
might have been someone else that I confused with Pat Metheny. What
other hot young smooth jazz guitarists were just starting to emerge
on the scene in the 1969-74 time frame?

>I suggest that you might be confusing Pat Metheny with Pat Martino.

No.

>Or else you just meant to type 1979, or 1989, or 1999...

I meant to type 1969, because at the time I was in a band with a jazz
pianist/organist from New England Conservatory. My recollection is
that he and I were at some gig at NEC and that this recorded guitar
music was playing over the PA and somebody said that it was Pat
Metheny. The guitar tone was clean, he was playing in octaves, and
the rhythm and changes were very inside.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com