re: MPX-1 $425 BLOWOUT! (Re: Lex MPX-1)

>> They usually do not sell the demos, but I was told that

I was at the local Sam Ash Music store the other day and overheard the
salesman responding to a question about whether a guy could get a
discount for the 'floor model'.  The new response is "80% our stock is
on the floor so there's no such thing as a 'floor model' anymore".

Kinda strange seeing as most of the gear (including instruments) are so
often banged up or otherwise not cared for.

Anyway I thought I would pass this along, whether it's a real policy or
just the pat answer for the usual concern about buying off the floor. My
new attitude is 'Give me an unopened box' - I guess I'll take my chances
with the quality control at the manufacturer.  Web purchases are looking
more attractive than ever these days.  It's not like the sales people at
these mega stores are familiar with the equipment.

It's not hard to know more than these guys about almost any new gear if
you do a little research on the web.  Another salesperson, when I asked
about the Mackie powered mixer gave me a blank look for a second, then
said "Oh  - Mack-kee! yes I've heard of them..."

Sorry - I didn't mean to turn this into a rant.  But I do miss the days
where a local music store could distinguish themselves with knowledgable
staff and a limited but decent selecion.  And an occasional bargain
hopefully.

Dan Ash