Re: Looper Moving! - scenes, genres, and distinctions

At 7:02 PM -0700 6/3/02, Andre LaFosse wrote:

>My use of the word "technique," in this case, refers simply to the
>technique of looping audio.  It's by no means the only thing I'm
>interested in (whether in looping or in music in general), but to me
>that's the core of a "looping scene," such as there is one.

I view looping in three ways: 1) as a technique of real time
composition that is based on cyclic processes, 2) as an extension of
collage technique brought into the temporal realm, and 3) as part or
a larger practice of electroacoustic composition and performance. All
three have their aethetic and technical sides.

>  > Does that mean our Web site is too fancy?
>
>My conclusions here were drawn after going through some of the pages at
>the group's web site, and more specifically looking at some of the
>criteria for submitting compositions for the salons.  My impression,
>after having read through the information, was that written music
>manuscripts (or at least a recording of a fixed musical work) had to be
>handed in to a committe, which would then determine whether or not this
>was something that was viable for a formal presentation to the group
>in general.

The way it works is, you make a proposal to the Salon committee and
they put you in the queue. I'm not aware of anyone having been
rejected. It may take a year to get programmed, though, because we do
them only once every other month and there are only three artists per
program.

The next Salon is this coming Sunday 2-5 at Rocco, 6320 Santa Monica
Blvd, Hollywood. I won't be there because I'll be in Boston, but it
looks like a good program.

>It also struck me that the orientation of the site seemed to point
>primarily towards academic work, composition grants, "new music,"
>and the like.

Hey, it's all "new music."  As for the grants, it's a great program!
I got a grant specifically to buy an 8-channel surround sound system.

>Your reaction here is...:  "Yes, I use a lot of the relevant tools,
>but the requirements of entry seem too specific and strict for me to
>comfortably fit in."

I don't worry too much about "comfort" or "fitting in." I belong to a
lot of different online and real world communities. Not all of them
overlap and I'm often a bit of an outsider. Variety is good.

>But is that something that a guy in Chicago would be able to tap into in
>an appreciably greater way by living here, rather than just staying
>subscribed to this list and flying out for a few looping festivals every
>year?

Probably not, but there are a lot of other benefits to living in
California. On the other hand, Chicago is a great town and has
certain advantages over the West Coast (the weather not being one of
these, however_.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com