Re: Looper Moving!

The Santa Cruz Sentinel reported that homes on West Cliff Drive (i.e.,
waterfront) just aren't selling the way they used to and people are having
to trim millions off their asking prices -- which still leaves them costing
millions...

Unfortunately for anyone contemplating a move here, I don't think Santa
Cruz
is seeing softness at the other end of the market. For example, realtor.com
reports that $189,000 will get you a 2 bedroom, 560 sq. ft. "cabin home" in
Boulder Creek. Ouch.

So, I would have to concur that financially it probably makes more sense to
stay in Chicago and come to California when there actually is an event. It
probably makes financial sense even if in order to perform as well as
listen
you had to keep a looping rig in storage in California.

On the other hand, the relative frequency of events in Santa Cruz is one of
the attractions of the area for me particularly since there's a chance that
I can avoid being tired from my job and can get away from my family to go
some of them whereas the chances would be essentially nil if I had to say
"I
need to fly halfway across the country again to go to this looping event.
See you in a couple days." (Expressing it as "getting away from my family"
feels wrong, but I think most people with families will understand the
intended meaning.)

Mark

P.S. Speaking of the midwest and looping, if there are any would be looping
festival organizers in Ann Arbor, I can suggest two spaces that seem like
they could be pretty cool.

One is the auditorium at East Quad. Nice stage. Intimate theater. I have no
idea what sort of arrangements would have to be made to use the space.

The other is the concert hall at the Vitosha Guest Haus
(http://www.vitosha.org/serv021.htm). Not cheap. Probably best for a
quieter
looping event. But a cool space.