RE: granular looping

Here's how I use/define it in LoopIII, I can't speak about LoopIV, since
it hasn't arrived yet:

<This couldn't have been possible without a killer explanation by Andre,
the previous posts by Matthias, Kim and David.>

I use vinyl and an EDP, I'll record 8 bars of break beat, but I do it in
a different way:

Quantize=ON
INSMode=INS
Beat1 is record button
Beat2 insert <This starts to subdivide the loop into 1 beat sub-loops
within the loop, of course clock drift will set in, and the sub loops
will be off more and more as the beat continues.  If I want to throw it
off I can do so by applying a little pressure to the platter to
drop/raise the pitch and throw it off a little further for confusion and
fun later on down the line.>
Beats3-24 are just left to run into entropy (You'll understand the
entropy in a minute).
Beat24 I hit INS again, this stops the recording.

Now I have a "Round" loop with 24 subloops (subloops offer no guarantee
of "Roundness". By roundness, I mean a loop that is looped on beat and
goes infinitely, these may be way off beat to moderately off beat,
according to it's position in the subloops.) inside it.

So, what I can do now, is start to mess with the number of subloops
within the loop.

I hit multiply and multiply it down to 12 subloops, and let the fun
begin.

Through this, I can start to hit UNDO on different loops to have it
scroll through different sub-loops within memory and replacing the
current beat for some later/earlier beat in the mix.

Since the latter sub-loops are a bit more entropic, they start to form
really interesting rhythm patterns.  It sort of becomes an "UNDO Puzzle"
where you just try to keep on getting different patterns out of your bag
of tricks (memory), by stomping on UNDO.

Then once I get a really interesting pattern, I hit MULTIPLY one more
time, let it run until it's at a satisfactory length, then hit INSERT to
completely resize the sub-loop length, to an arbitrary value, like 16
beats.
I now have a single 16 beat sub-loop made up of the preceding steps.
Now I have a mish-mashed, interesting rhythmed, just the right length
loop to work with.

I then multiply it back out to 32 beats (or MULTIPLY to 2 Sub-loops) and
start to work with it adding a little accent or whatever here and there
with the drums or horns from the record that I originally recorded it
off.

And that's how I use it.

Thanks and best regards,

Dylan DeAnda
dylan@loudcloud.com
703-653-6883
"What is it men cannot be made to believe!"
-Thomas Jefferson