WOT Re: Mail Order vs local

> > Sure. You focused on the convenience to the vendor, but it's also more
> > convenient to you. It costs you nothing to wander into Joe's Music to
> > try out that distortion box that you end up not liking. If you buy it
> > online and don't like it, you have to 1) pay for it up front, 2) pay
> > for the shipping, 3) wait a few days to get it, 4) keep it in pristine
> > condition while you try it to find you don't like it, 5) call up for an
> > RMA, 6) take it to the shipping vendor, 6) pay return shipping.
> >
> Yes, I agree there is more convienence in shopping locally which is
> why it's surprising many people go online to save $20...

These days, as a lot of the legitimate local stores are dropping their
prices to compete with the online offering, the >inconvenience< of shopping
locally is one of the more prominent factors of my doing most of my
shopping
online. (Probably second only to the fact that I purchase as much as
possible used.)

They're never open, dammit! When will the numbskulls realize that stores
hours from 9-5 ( with a grudging 'till 8 on thursdays' ) is not when their
most desirable customers (i.e. ones with jobs, and cash to spare for toys)
are going to be able to pop in? I just drove by three places on my way to
work, looking for that "very last cable" that I need, and none of them were
open at all on sundays.

All week to practice, on a zillion guitars and no customers to bother you.
gotta get me a guitar center job. It's a fight to find a time when I can be
around, and they deign to be available to sell stuff, whereas I'm at my
computer with a credit card, 5 days a week.

Jonathan