Re: Repeater's Demise

mark,
we exchanged thusly:

>> did not really 'drop the ball'; i believe that it's quite a bit more
>> complicated than that, what w/the involvement of parent companies and
>all.....

>Oh, believe me, I know that there were a lot of talented people at
>Electrix,
>and
>they did a great job at creating the looper that I chose as my main
>looper.
>don't know if it was the parent company (IVL) or upper managment at
>Electrix,
>but
>there was a constant flow of missinformation coming out of that company.
right.
am i mistaken, or.....
doesn't (?didn't?) the parent-company-hierarchy there somehow flow thusly:
electrix/ivl design/ivl/digitech/harman?

and, repeater's development certainly required way more man-hours than
they'd
been prepared for.....
it seemed that, well --- once the repeater design team management split
(ie,
damon langlois & darrell smith), that spelled the *middle* of the end.....
anyway, maybe they'll sell the product to roland or some such who, btw,
probably won't listen to us-all.

>> >I remember a bunch
>> >of us offering to go to local music shops all over the world to do
>> >demos, and the offer was ignored.  Why?  When your customers are
>> >offering free help for your marketing and you turn them down, you don't
>> >deserve to be in business.
>> well.....
>> that's a bit harsh.

>But is it harsh?
yeah, it's harsh.
there were/are good people, there, who spit blood, money and sleepless
months
on that thang.
relatively speaking, there was some awesome *intention* in that project &
buncha people..... it just went deeply awry, for reasons upon which we can
only speculate.

>This product meant a lot to me, as it did a lot of us.
> All of
>us, for that matter, even the ones that did not choose it.  Another
successful
>looper on the market is good for all of us.  No doubt.
yes. total agreement on that. i felt strongly (and tried to express
myself,
in that regard, in this forum and others) that any dedicated loopist might
wanna make a concerted effort to buy a repeater, not only to gain some new
techno-musical capabilities, but also to invigorate the long-lost
loop-device
'competition'.
(silly me, eh? pragmatism obviated by altruism..... the self-serving kind,
of
course!)
*-)
indeed, i feel *exactly* the same way about the EDP.
i kinda figure that if folks're truly *serious* about loop-tools, they'd
see
that --- in this incredibly small niche --- we (users) can't have real
development of evolving tools w/o supporting those developers,
*somehow*.....
and money should oughta seem to do that.

i watched lexicon cancel the pcm 42, put the jamman to bed w/o its supper
and
not implement looping-tech in the pcm80+ series.
the edp? from oberheim to gibson-trace to nowhere and back to gibson,
again,
at least:
hoping for the best, there!
ye olde tc looper? gone. not interested.
roland? not interested in development.
there's the boomerang, which does have some features, though they're not
particularly forward-looking, but: it works, it's fun, it does some tricks.
there are a slew of old-school delay type loopers around, both old and
new,
but.....
that doesn't interest *me*, too much.
anyway, i'm just babbling pointlessly, now:
a long month, it's been.....

>I see the crap
>that
>happens in my company, and others that I've worked for.  Upper managment
>making
>uninformed and arbitary desicions about things mostly based on their
>hubris.
>Rather than defer to someone who knows what's going on, they'll spit
something
>out and then let the engineering dept clean up the mess.  My motto here
>is,
>"Don't puke on me then tell me I stink."  The short story is Elextrix
>didn't
>get
>the word out, for no good reason.
certainly, the word was out.....
but the product came so late that consumers doubted its stability, lost
their
excitable 'impulse'-to-buy, and:
in fact:
the final release was somewhat less substantial & capable than it might
have
been.

>> >Still, the Repeater was an amazing beast.
>> it's *still* fun and useful, here.
>
>Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no plans to ditch my Repeater.  It's a
>great
>little box, and until it dies it will probably have a space in my rack.
i dig ya; i'm very lucky, in that i have 2.5 of them:
no shortage of looping devices, here!
anyway, dude:
what a world, eh?
*-()