Styles and Limits (was, long ago: Repeater vs EDP)

I like a lot what you say here, Andree, as I like all you say anyway ;-)
...and all that has been said in this thread, it makes me cry how
friends defend my dirty old work on the Mac+. Yes limits are
necessary, but where should they come from?
- Technology?
- The selection by the creator of the tool?
- By a consense of the users?
- By each user?
The last option seems to be the most atractive, but it means that the
user has to test all options to select, and for this he has to study
a lot of parameters, so most may be too lazy.
History made that the EDPs limits are mostly given by the old
technology and for non MIDI users by the decision to do it all with
seven buttons. How many more can you handle? Do you want a page
oriented free programming of the keys functions as the MIDI pedals
alow it for you now?
Yes, I did select: For example, on the EDP hardware, I could program
a four track looper without feedback and volume control. But since I
would not find it fun, I did not do it. But:
Once we can overcome the technical limits, we can develop a software
that implements everybodys wishes, but will anybody still understand
its operation?
The InterfaceModes started to be created by the users. Andy Butler
litteraly created Flip mode from nothing but understanding a table of
mine and playing with it in his mind until he suggested the one he
wanted and it worked in about three attempts! Now, he may be a rather
extraordinay person, but there may be more of those, especially if we
manage to offer some kind of developpers manual. In the future.

For now, you can select a InterfaceMode, select other parameters that
fit to your use and save it as a preset. If this preset is called by
a preset of the MIDIpedal which contains a set of functions for the
foot switches, this defines pretty freely what the buttons do and
when.

If others offer their work as Andre does and we develop this into
some data base, a newcomer can listen through samples and select the
InterfaceMode/Preset/Style he wants to start his looping experience
on.

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org